How To Make Cushion Covers At Home?
The right cushion can provide support and relieve pressure on sensitive areas like the spine and joints. It also helps improve posture which can reduce long-term back pain.
Cushions are a great investment because they can help improve your overall health. And keep you comfortable longer. your space feels fresh and new. But finding the right cushion shape and size can be difficult. You have to find just the right one that will fit in your space. That can be frustrating.
So many people are intimidated by the idea of making their cushions. They don’t think they have the skills. They don’t want to invest in all the materials and just prefer to buy them. But it’s so easy to make your cushions and Cushion covers, they don’t have to cost a fortune. This is a great way to update your decor on a budget. But sometimes they can be so expensive to buy. Luckily, you can make your own for a fraction of the price. All you need are a few supplies and a little bit of time. But, even if you are not able to make it on your own. Then you can buy cushion covers online from Tranquil Square.
Steps towards making a cushion cover at home
You can check out the tutorials for DIY cushion covers online. Following are the steps to make a cushion cover at home:
Step 1: Cut the fabric
- Figure out how big your front piece of fabric needs to be. This will be the size of the pattern you need to replicate on your cushion.
- For example, if your cushion has a front that is 4 inches wide and you want to use a strip of fabric that is 6 inches wide. Then you would cut your strip of fabric that is 2 inches wider than the width of your front piece.
- Now you need to cut your fabric. Cut a piece of fabric that is as big as your cushion front piece. But doesn’t extend beyond the edges of the fabric by an inch. This is your backpiece.
Step 2: Insert the zipper
- Place your zipper on the wrong side of the fabric so that the teeth are face down.
- Make sure that the zipper is at least as long as the width of the cushion form. So that the zipper will lie flat when stretched across the back of the cushion.
- Position the zipper so that the metal teeth are facing away from you. When you fold the fabric over the zipper.
- Fold the fabric over the zipper so that the zipper is now on the right side of the fabric.
Step 3: Add the piping or trim
- The actual amount of piping or trim you’ll need is going to depend on your choice of fabric. The shape of your cushion.
- For square cushions, you’ll want at least two inches of trim all the way around. And for other types of cushions. You can go with a tighter seam or no seam at all. This will keep your cushion from sagging, and it will also help you hide any unfinished edges.
- In some cases, you can buy piping or trim online. Or you can ask your local drapery or upholstery store. If they can match the piping or trim color to your fabric. If you don’t want to buy piping or trim. You can always use a fabric pen to draw the piping or trim onto your cushion. This works best if you draw the piping or trim in reverse. So that the inside of the piping or trim is facing out.
Step 4: Sew the cushion
- Once your patterns are sewn, turn the fabric out right sides together. Begin pinning. Pin the corners on the right side and the opposite corners on the wrong side, leaving a little space between the sewn lines.
- The space will be filled with a trim and then the fabric will be sewn together. You don’t have to go all the way through the piece. You can leave a few inches of the edge or edge of the foam piece untouched.
- This will leave a seam that is less noticeable when you sew your cushion. If you decide to leave more than a few inches of the excess fabric, you can finish the raw edges with a zig-zag or straight stitch using a sewing machine and your sewing machine’s zigzag foot.
Step 4: Finish the cushion
- Open the zipper completely so that you can turn the cushion cover right side out. Use the iron on Cotton’s setting to press the cushion cover flat.
- Insert the cushion form and close the zipper. You can now relax and enjoy your new cushion cover!
You Can Also Read:- Top 5 Summer Fashion Tips that Never Go Out of Trend